I use subtention almost exclusively in the field hunting to intermediate ranges. 2 days ago I shot a coyote @ 340 yds. with a 17 FB XP-100 pistol, using the plex reticle in the new 2-6X WEaver handgun scope. I simply calculate bullet drop relative to plex subtention in 50-yd. intervals (in this optic) at 6x which measures 6.6' X to post tip. So for 350 yds. the entry (in my range sticker in the ocular Butler Creek scope cap cover) is this-- 35-.4-.6, range, vertical, windage always in that order as simple as possible. Now the problem with this setup in that that subtention is a bit too wide--I actually prefer the 2.5-8X Leupold that measures 2.5' at 8x, since i can get to about 300ish with it and dial the M1 turret beyond that to about 400ish yds.

The most important aspect to subtention is that subtention is inversely proportional to magnification in SFP scopes(which has been alluded to a few times in this thread), The practical application of this concept has netted me successful connections at ranges I couldnt believe many times over the many years I've been a student of subtention.

Last edited by sscoyote; 02/21/21.