I have been asked if I would be interested in refinishing the wood furniture on the demilled M1's that our HS NJROTC drill team uses. They have two usable pairs. One pair with relatively blond (birch) stocks and guards. One pair with darker walnut (I think) furniture. Two questions:

1) Preferred finish for drill rifles? I am thinking polyurethane for durability. Would also be interested to understand if there are any hints or tips to improve "grip-ability" of the finish ? I am thinking a gloss finish for the light colored rifles, and more of a satin finish for the walnut. Also, anything to avoid?

2) The painted finish and the parkerized finish are rough in places. Are there any hobbyist finishes that that can be used to restore / reproduce the parkerized finish? Titanium air dry ceracoat? Also any recommendations to repair or re-do the painted finishes?

This is a low cost project. All constructive comments and suggestions appreciated. If there is a book or other resource related to drill rifles, or related to refurbing a park finish, appreciate if you could shoot me a link or reference.

Thank you !