Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
I keep hearing they're a high strung pain in the butt. Still want to try one, though.

Wonder what Lab owner said that.....

Seriously though, most bird dogs are a pain when they aren’t exercised or given anything to do. They were bred for work. I believe people get them because they look nice and then can’t handle the energy. That’s where the “Destroykins” come from. In my experience, Spaniels have more drive then the average Lab. Battue is also correct in that they are eager to please but are tender hearted. Harsh correction will shut them down quick! You can’t wrench on them like Labs and bend them to you’re will, it simply won’t work. I know of a big time field trial trainer who usually works Labs who can’t or won’t train Boykins. They lack the patience. But do it right with a Spaniel and you’ll have the most loyal dog you could imagine and a machine in the field.

Side note: I actually like Labs and have had one myself. A good one is something to behold though I have seen more poor Lab “bird dogs” than probably any other breed(GSP’s are running neck and neck). Make sense though as they are so popular. In most cases, it’s the owner and not the dog. My comments are in jest towards them rather than animosity. Boykin owners here it plenty from Lab guys!