Originally Posted by tjm10025

I've got questions about infrared now. (I'm expecting my Wraith to arrive later this week. First foray into night vision.)

"Some guy on the internet"™ says he put some sort of IR filter or lens on his IR illuminator to enhance the effect at the cost of a small reduction in brightness, so I'd be interested if anybody here has played with that.

Yes, many illuminators have filters that you can install and remove to “tune” how much light it makes available, or to knock down unnecessary/unwanted bloom for conditions or use. Also some illuminators offer a couple power settings that do the same thing without the use of filters.

I’m not savvy on the Wraith illuminator, or SniperLights referred to in another thread, but it’s all the same principle as to what I’m using or have used. The Steiner DBAL-D2 which I currently use has two IR/laser power settings and gives me a choice on how much light I want thrown depending on outside/inside conditions, ambient light etc. If it’s a clear night with sufficient moon or starlight I can use the lowest setting for anything within shooting distance of unmagnified PVS14s. If I need to throw light into darker areas or further distances, than I just switch to the higher power setting. MAWLS, PEQ15s and others have the same ability....

The LUNA ELIR III, which is a dang good illuminator, Perst 4 and others have filters that you can swap in and out as well. I know the above are probably overkill for the Wraith, but it’s the general concept of being able to “tune” available IR illumination I’m getting at.