Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
G5m: I was a real "Nike" missile nut when I was young (10'ish - 1957). I had a cool plastic model Nike in my bedroom and I begged my family to sign up for permission to tour the underground silos at the nearby Nike missile base where the Nike's stood ready. The Air Force advertised a "one time" local residents tour for people who lived near the base (near Renton, Washington) and my parents relented and signed us up.
It was very interesting and I tried to memorize everything I saw because cameras were NOT allowed.
The Air Force even treated us "neighbors" to a wonderful fried chicken lunch after the presentation and tour. I actually was allowed to "touch" a Nike missile then! At the Air Force presentation it was alluded to that the Nike missiles would fly through the Russian bombers thus neutralizing them.
Anyway years later after the Nike missile "protect America" shield program was ended and the bases and missiles removed it became common knowledge that the Nike missiles did NOT need to strike an approaching Russian bomber they just had to be within a 2 mile radius as the nuclear warheads they REALLY were carring could wipe out all bombers in that 2 mile radius!
If you look carefully in stop action at the linked to video it sure appears to me that the bomber in question blew up from an internal explosive in its wing.
I don't know I am no expert but I do remember when my family learned that the Air Force was hurling Nike's up above our homes that had nuclear (atomic?) warheads we were not pleased.
Can anyone clarify my contentions regarding the Nike missiles?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I just looked at this thread again. I tried a bit and was finally able to stop it and see the missile just as it was about to hit the right wing. It's at 2:12 and just the tiniest part of a second. You can see the white missile trail at the left, at the time of explosion. Interesting stuff.

Way back when when I was about 6 or so my dad took me to an air show put on by the Air Force at a local training base. It was really neat. Some jets that the Air Force was proud to show and WW2 aircraft and what I remember most was a Japanese 'Baka' suicide rocket propelled bomb that was to be used against ships. Good memories you brought back.

Retired cat herder.