Originally Posted by Ramsdude47
I handled one at the LGS today and it was also a POS with the same rough cycle. I remembered the issue with mine, as this one I handled had it even worse.

The bolt gets hung up on the internal magazine, mine at least does clear it with enough force (the one at the LGS I had to manually depress), and then it requires another burst of force to complete the cock on close.

I appreciate all of the wisdom.

I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendal, that uses a standard AR mag, even tho it is a bolt action...its a year old..

when the AR mag is empty, the bolt won't close without immediately hitting the mag.. and I have several mags for that rifle, both factory and aftermarket...

I have several Enfields 1917s, that are cock on closing and they do the same with no ammo in the chamber.. so that is standard factory feature with the spring in the mag,
letting a shooter in military service know the mag is empty....these were loaded in combat or in the field, with stripper clips...

action being rough...its a 100 year old rifle... it may have had a lot of rough use and put away wet in its 100 year service life...
something like that can still be cleaned up.. I've done it with a couple of 1917 Enfields over the years...

barrels can always be replaced... and being a handloader, its not much to load something at lower pressure, and not giving up a lot of velocity, to include the 7/08...

people always seem to think they need the last fps out of each round that they shoot...a little prudence at the reloading bench, can make brass and everything else a lot less stressed and increase service life dramatically.... I load a lot of ammo I use into the pressure range that many older Mausers like used...giving up a 100 to 150 fps Max velocity...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez