Oklahoma:

One might touch bases with the Camera Land folks that sponsor this thread. For most indoor court sports from the stands, I'd suggest something in the 70-200 mm range. A Nikon lens would be big bucks, but several folks brag up the Tamron lenses including the Camera Land folks here. Tamrons are usually a bit slow in low light, but if lighting's good, such should suffice and generate quality images. Usually a third to a fifth the cost of big name glass.

For track and field sports (soccer), one might step up to a 100-400 mm. Such is also good for wildlife until something falls into ones lap, and then it can be a bit much.

If budget is indeed an issue, one might explore some of the "used" sources. There are folks that can afford and insist on the latest and greatest, and they will trade in gear at the drop of a hat. Over the years, Cookie has picked up a couple used camera bodies from a "B&H" outfit. Their condition statements are spot on, and I think there's some warranty as well on their used gear. A quick look at their site shows some Nikon lenses inside of the virus buck range.

Could be some good Ebay buys too, but probably with zero warranty. An issue with some of the Ebay stuff is that it may be a high end brand sold in Lower Slobovia, but likely it will not come with a factory warranty.

There are a couple other used gear sources, but they're not coming to mind at the moment. I do not know if the Camera Land guys here handle used gear or not. If not, they might still let some of the display gear that's been handled in the store go at a reduced cost.

Not knowing where one might be, there are outfits that rent out lenses. I've met several folks that may do an annual month long tour through Yellowstone, Glacier, Jasper, Bison Range, etc packing gear that will run over $10 to 12K for a single lens. Rent for 2 or 3 weeks is considerably less than that.

Last, a good tripod might be a good investment. With practice some folks can hold things relatively stable and get good shots. When distance, action, and a big lens enters the picture, a tripod is a real boost.

Good luck,

Last edited by 1minute; 03/02/21.

1Minute