Thank you for contacting me to express your thoughts on the For the People Act. I appreciate you taking the time to share your views with me.

You may be pleased to know that I am a co-sponsor of H.R. 1, the For the People Act, which was introduced on January 4th, 2021 by Representative John Sarbanes. As H.R. 1, the For the People Act represents the highest priority for the House of Representatives. I was proud to co-sponsor and vote for the For the People Act in the 116th Congress, and I urge my colleagues to bring this package up again for a vote in the 117th Congress.

This package of election and government reform legislation will help end the culture of corruption, get money out of politics and ensure that the voices of Iowans are heard in Washington. No matter if you are a Democrat, Republican or an Independent, I believe we can agree that all Iowans deserve easy and accessible voting, fair and transparent campaign finance laws, and responsible and accountable representatives. The three broad sections in the For the People Act – voting, campaign finance reform, and stronger ethics regulations – all help change the culture in Washington to move our country forward.

Every voter in Iowa deserves to have their voice heard, and the For the People Act makes it easier for Iowans to participate in our democracy. I support provisions in the For the People Act that encourage voting like automatic registration, longer voting hours and more chances to vote early or by mail. Protecting our elections and ensuring Americans can vote is the cornerstone of our democracy. That’s why I have also previously voted for much-needed legislation to increase election security and protect voting rights – like the SAFE Act, which would create federal standards to secure our elections; and the Voting Rights Advancement Act, which would restore and revise the Voting Rights Act to guard against efforts to suppress voter turnout.

I will also make sure that the For the People Act ensures Iowa can continue leading charge against gerrymandering by using nonpartisan legislative staff who cannot use targeted political data to find an advantage in redistricting. Last Congress, I worked with members of Iowa’s congressional delegation to amend the For the People Act so that Iowa’s strong anti-gerrymandering laws continue to serve our state, and I intend to make sure this language is retained in the For the People Act this Congress.

I am also glad the For the People Act helps fight back against big money in politics to keep our democracy accountable to Iowans – not corporations and special interests. Currently, our tax code allows groups – like super PACs – to spend unlimited sums on political activities without having to reveal their big-money donors. This package will shine a light on anonymous dark money groups by requiring them to disclose their largest funders. To improve oversight, the For the People Act also empowers the Federal Election Commission to strongly enforce existing regulations.

The For the People Act helps tackles corruption and waste in Washington. Provisions in the bill, such as closing lobbying loopholes and preventing elected politicians from serving on corporate boards all help prevent representatives from serving their pocketbooks instead of the people. I spent a decade at the State of Iowa rooting out waste, fraud and abuse to make sure Iowans’ tax dollars were being used wisely; I want Iowans to know their hard-earned tax dollars are being used to help move our country forward, not fund unnecessary perks for Members of Congress.

In the 116th Congress, I introduced legislation, the Clean Up Congress Act, that takes three steps to root out waste, fraud and abuse by: 1) banning Members of Congress from becoming lobbyists, 2) prohibiting Members of Congress for using taxpayer dollars for first class flights, and 3) preventing Congress from getting a pay raise until they reduce the spending deficit. Iowans deserve better from Washington – and that starts with Congress getting its own house in order.

I believe that regardless of political affiliation, Congress can always look for ways to increase voter participation, hold government accountable, and save taxpayer dollars. One of the most important parts of my job is to listen to the people, and I will continue to keep your thoughts in mind as I continue working to guarantee the people of Iowa’s Third Congressional District have your voices heard.

Thank you again for contacting my office. Please keep in touch with any additional questions or comments by emailing me at https://axne.house.gov/contact. If you would like to receive regular updates from me, please visit https://axne.house.gov/contact/newsletter to sign up for my e-newsletter.
Sincerely,

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.