Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
CED if budget is a concern.

Lab Radar if not.

Some enterprising gunwriter could do a lot of good by using a labradar unit to test and publish negative acceleration rates for a range of projectiles.
Excluding wind it should be a fairly consistent number based on projectile size and shape. .

You mean actual real world ballistic coefficients.

Measuring BC on a bullet at 100 yards or less is not of much use. On mine, set to high power, I don't get readings much past 100 yards with .30 cal bullets. Less than that with smaller bullets.

Radar systems that will read the bullet to reasonable distances (800 + yards) are quite expensive (over $100K, I think...don't own one).

There is a more affordable option for measuring BC on the way. The Oehler System '89 can be set to measure Velocity only, Time of Flight only or both. If you set it up to measure both, it also gives BC based on the velocity and TOF measurements.

I've got a Beta system and have successfully gathered lots of data at about 1 mile. I've also verified it worked at 2 miles (I was not doing the shooting).

Dr. Ken has been working on it a few years and, I believe, has got the bugs worked out. Should be here soon!

Last I heard it will be less than $2,500 for a system. Many people have scopes that cost more than that!

Last edited by BufordBoone; 03/04/21. Reason: To add information.