Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Originally Posted by exbiologist
I’ve called them in with fawn distress calls. Rabbit too

Would you be willing to share more on that? As far as your set up, sequence ect. I’m really looking to get into calling black bears.

So I’ve had no luck with blind sets, but my buddy who taught me has.

When glassing an oak hillside with bears they can be very hard to actually approach. So on a few occasions we’ve called them out of cover and into our sets. Obviously wind matters here, but it’s all basic coyote calling stuff. When you get their attention they will come in steadily. I’ve not seen the charge that others describe.

As for the sequence, never really did much for breaks, just set the shooter up 50 to 100 yards ahead of the caller. No decoys or anything. Pretty steady desperation calling.

If you search through some Mark Dombrenski's old posts he talks about calling them in the Spring and had some good ideas, and said much the same as Exi. He would spot them first to make sure they weren't a sow with cubs and would then start calling to get them out in the open. I have yet to try it but he did mention that they would lose attention quicker than coyotes so you'd have to keep calling the whole time without much pause, but obviously ymmv