Lost a highland calf this morning in birth, first lost calf for us. Momma (3y/o healthy heifer) had no chance at delivery, completely shocked at the size of the young bull. He was bigger than our two month old calves running around here.
I tried to pull his carcass with a neighbor but eventually had to choose the grizzly bike, and that was a serious tug.

That stuff isn't normal with highlands, this was our ninth calf and have never seen this.
We got this cow along with a 3 y/o highland bull last Summer from a couple who couldn't care for them due to lack of space. But I'm suspecting that she was bred by an angus or large breed, rather than the highland bull.

My question: Momma was really traumatized, she was shaking, laying on her side for a few hours. She couldn't get her front legs under her and I got a few more neighbors and we got her on her stomach and she responded with a bit of perk. She's having a really hard time standing; her back legs are weak. We finally got her standing up after about 11 hours after the calf pull, and she stood there with our guidance for about ten minutes. She finally went back down.

She's laying and eating and drinking at this point--perked up, but those back legs look weak. I'm hopeful she makes the night okay out there.

Have any of you cow guys dealt with this? Thoughts? Experienced only please...