Well carbinecol... Disagree with your likely majority "caveat emptor" viewpoint. There are always the big bucks types; high rollers. But most of us not that category. A buyer should be entitled to rely on the seller description. Not speaking "law" here so much as ethics. My "opinion" and only that, the indicators were in the listing suggesting unethical. That view as someone able to analyze the listing and photos. The seller exhibiting sufficient moxie to suggest factual knowledge of fake nature. Buyer, not equipped to make such analysis. More as poor sap, "relying upon ethics". Far as I'm concerned a ethical duty of professional behavior and disclosure. I find such business behavior disgusting. That and also distinguishing the subject 7mm from the other referenced .250 listing. Latter, pretty obvious defects.

Concerning 7x57 chambering rarity in Model 54, I'd say yes, definitely. Simply from personal experience over many decades of collecting. But not "into hundreds", likely into thousands. Roger Rule in his Model 70 book has an intro chapter on the Model 54. There he pegs 7mm fifth most rare amongst 10. No supporting numbers however. I've managed to acquire both original and so-called later "NRA model", in this chambering. Happy to have them!

A last point and similar whether speaking of Model 54 or Model 70. While small matters may take a rifle out of "collector status", that doesn't stop me from considering one with some mods. Extra holes my most common compromise and "not to kick one out of bed" smile so to speak, but consider the 'overall situation'. My lowest number Model 70, SN 39xx all original but for bridge holes and also showing her wear. Great rifle in common '06 and smooth as silk. A great shooter! I'd recommend such for anyone looking for such category. Just not to pay the "collector" premium for the "little bit pregnant" category!

More than 'nuff said' here!
Best & stay safe!
John