Originally Posted by Scota4570
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by Scota4570
Heating a bolt action receiver to 1000*F will ruin the heat treat and make an unsafe rifle. 1000*F is glowing red hot.

Wow, an armchair metalurgist here. There are thousands of guns so treated every year. 1000⁰ doesn't even come close to the tempering heat used. I've never had an issue other than sometimes reduced performance in the bore

You don't know what you are talking about.

I see from the link above that they are really heating the part enough to ruin the heat treat. For reference, the correct temperature to draw a spring is about 750*F. A tumbler is drawn to about 450*F. Depending on the exact alloy a 4140 receiver would be drawn to a temperature somewhere in-between those figures. Heating a receiver to 1000*F and cooling it slowly would result in a dead soft state. When fired the locking lugs would set back making it impossible to open the bolt. I would not let them touch my rifle on a dare.

For items that are not heat treated, like pistol slides and frames I see no issue.

You should really stop talking out your a$$ while you can. We are not making springs. 1000⁰ F does not make steel " dead soft" I've been making knives and guns for many years. To make steel dead soft you have to heat it until it reaches critical temperature. This is the point at which it quits being magnetic. Depending on the steel 1800-1900⁰

I called and talked to Glen Harrison ( Defiance machine- Phoenix machine at the time) he told me it was ok to salt bsth his action to 1000⁰. His temper was about 1070⁰ f. The added hardness of the surface would make up for a lost point in temper draw back.

With 4340 or similar Chrome- molybdenum steels this is fine. I have nitrided dozens of actions. I disassemble them and only send the parts i want treated. No springs or pins. They come back tougher than he'll and corrosion resistant.

ALL Glock slides are nitrided. I suspect they know something about metallurgy.

I don't like what it does to the bore. I've had 2 barrels that shot poorly after nitriding. I won't do any more barrels.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.