Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Sheister
Most of the time the Hornady 25 grain hp's were extremely predictable and accurate. However, once in a great while when I encountered a coyote, they would do funny things. I always wondered if hitting a bone made them extra explosive as they seemed to just explode and would leave baseball sized holes in one side, but wouldn't pass through. In any case, I got tired of dealing with the constantly coppered barrel ruining the accuracy after 25-30 rounds and needing cleaning, and then moly coating the bullets to extend the accuracy so that barrel went down the road and had a VSSF 223 barrel spun on by ITD. Shoots bugholes now with 40 grain BT's and raises hell with coyotes at much longer ranges....

Just out of curiosity, what is the longest you guys have killed coyotes with your .17's ? I think the longest I had was one that stood around a bit too long at about 400 yards, but I've always considered that a pretty lucky shot given the windy conditions and other things...

Bob

I have killed a few at 400+, without any issue whatsoever. Not sure about the longest shot but am thinking it is less than 500.

It is odd how the same bullets do different things to different people. I have the same issues with 6.5mm ELD-Ms and 140 bergers. They absolutely explode (sometimes the ELD-Ms in mid flight) where others have awesome outcomes, with the same twist rates and appx velocities. Maybe individual barrels have something to do with it as I'll throw 500+ 25 grain HPs through my .17 Rem between cleanings and it never has an issue keeping them well under MOA, nor not working well once the critter is hit, including coyote shoulder bone hits.

I too have experienced the drastically different bullet performance deal. Corelokts and I just don’t get along. I haven’t used many but the times I have they’ve been awful. On the opposite end of the spectrum I seem to be able shoot pigs and deer with .22 caliber “varmint” bullets and see excellent results. Who knows.

I was initially worried about the 17’s reputation for fouling and the chore of cleaning, even went so far as to buy a nice .17 cleaning rod and jags. Turns out my rifle is like yours and I don’t clean it unless I get caught out in the rain with it or something. Maybe it’s the magic CFE223 I feed it. I don’t have any colony varmints around so mine probably doesn’t see nearly the round count some do either.

My furthest coyote has probably been 250-275 yards or so, the broken country around here just doesn’t usually show good opportunities way out there since they usually have cover for the approach. I did kill one at a shade over 400 last fall with my 223.