Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
What you can make is only limited by your imagination. We buy furs as my Yukon River born wife sews with fur and tanned deer, elk and moose hides. She recently put a silver fox ruff on a black coat she bought, very nice looking. She made beaver "trapper" hats for the kids and grandkids and mittens and slippers, etc.

One of my prized possession's is a rifle sheath/scabbard made from smoke tanned moose hide with a bear paw beaded on it with black beads. When I pull the old Marlin 45-70 or Mod. 71 Winchester .348 Ackey Improved out of it at the range or around the camp fire I feel like I am surrounded by envy. My dear wife has a Mod. 94 Big Bore .356 Winchester she "stole" from me and totes on moose hunts and berry picking trips. I bought some river otter hides from a guy and she is going to make a scabbard out of them for her Big Bore. I have seen the old seal skin scabbard that legendary Master Guide Hal Waugh had for his "Big Nan" a .375 Weatherby on a old Mod. 70 action. Was very nice to look at.

Like many Alaskan homes we have a few hides, skulls and antlers gracing the walls, along with a couple of dried bear peckers. You should see the ones that come off of a walrus, looks like a serious club. Goggle Ossik images. Damn!

Since you brought it up....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender