Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Fireball2
My biggest question is, TOM< what are you doing up that early?!

How long did they last? Did they just go all the way across the horizon until out of sight, like a sustained flight, or like something "coming down"?

I'm almost always up that early ... or earlier if there's hunting or fishing to do. Usually get up at 5:00. If the weather is good, go for a walk, otherwise reload ammo 'til it's time for work.

I would guess sustained flight or "pass by". No sign of them interacting with atmosphere. A while later, on a different course, there was a pretty bright satellite. These were brighter and crossing the sky 3-5 times as fast.

I may have lowballed the guess on numbers. The last were just coming into sight over the horizon to the west when the leading edge was past overhead, maybe 2/3 of the way from west to east. They faded out before crossing the horizon .. probably angle of the sun. There were no big gaps in the stream but it was not even and there were clumps of maybe a dozen here or there, so .. probably well into the hundreds. They didn't all seem to be the same size or brightness.

My first impression was debris, not something organized.

Beats me.
These were faster because they were much lower. Soon they'll move themselves to a much higher orbit where you'll never see them. I've read that they're launched 60 at a time. There are about 1000 of them in orbit now and about 1500 more planned. Possibly they've started to move higher and the cluster was breaking up. It's part of Starlink's plans to offer high speed internet anywhere on the globe.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.