Originally Posted by greydog
Our beagle was a wonderful companion and pet but she was a killing machine when the notion took her. When she was just a pup she was flogged by a rooster. When she grew up, she made it her mission in life to rid the world of chickens. We had two leghorn hens she never touched but every other chicken on the place disappeared, one by one. A muskrat that found the fish pond had a life expectancy of about 30 seconds. Any cat which offended her might as well have jumped off the bridge because she would kill it sooner or later. It was strange that such a sweet, lovable, facade concealed such a killer! GD

Plus one on this!

I had a beagle when I was a kid, and she was an amazing escape artist when the spirit moved her. The white picket fence was not a major obstacle when she wanted to go hunting.

Unfortunately, her favorite hunting spot was down the road on a farmyard where chickens roamed free.

Fortunately, the farmer knew the dog belonged to us so he didn't shoot it.

My Dad sent a lot of checks to that farmer over the years! Was well worth it, she was a wonderful companion for a young boy like me!

John