Hiked the AT in 1966 when there were no frills. Packs were heavy, no hostels, parents had to send resupplies to the post offices to arrive days before we got there. Took five months and we had a true blast. We bathed in streams, drank unfiltered water from mountain water sources, and saw under twenty people the whole hike. I'm now 72 and if my knee rehab works this year, I will try to make it a second time next year starting in March. Already started buying gear and truly hope to make one more try. While the AT is easier than the PCT, they are two totally different trails. The PCT has very dangerous sections and mountain passes that will test even 20 somethings. I agree with others that have advised you to watch every you tube vlog on both the PCT and AT. Try looking at "Homemade Wanderlust" with Dixie. She had hiked all three major trails in the US and has put together "start to finish" videos for all three. About 1.5 hrs each. She shows the best and worst of the trails. Could be worth your time and helpful in making your decision. Best of luck if you decide to make the trip...with either trail.