I have long wanted an English double rifle. I did purchase two Russian (Baikal) double years ago. My examples were horrible. Fit finish was poor. The extractors for the 30/06 were a mess (I fixed that with a conversion to rimmed 30/06). The 45/70 was made on the same barrels as the 30 cal. and was only 7-1/4. I am not recoil sensitive, but this thing was beyond controllable. Most importantly I do not believe the almighty himself could get them to regulate the barrels together. However, they did balance much like a double shotgun, which brings me to my question.

Recently I have handled a Woodward /(450 NE 3-1/4") and a Rhoda (.500 BPE). Both were in good to excellent, shootable condition. There were mechanically OK, and on face. Bores were very good. Wood was solid. Each ultimately sold for affordable prices at local auction. However, when I picked each one up they were decidedly nose heavy. They were nothing like a lively fine double shotgun which balances on the hinge pin.

I understand rifles and shotgun operate a much different pressures, hence the barrels would be constructed differently. Still I expected the overall pieces to handle very nicely. In my hands they failed this test enough my impression was, "ick, I don't like how these feel. Glad I handled them first."

I have also handled numerous drillings. These also are a bit heavy overall, but seem to balance slightly forward of the hinge, much better than the double rifles. I realize these are essentially double shotguns with a pencil thin rifle barrels added. whatever, the creators made them handy.

To me fit and balance is paramount for any firearm. No matter how wonderful the craftsmanship, if it doe not fit me, I is useless, to me. The doubles rifles I have handled do not meet my criteria, so far. Do I need to adjust my thinking or simply walk away from the double rifle infatuation? I am simply underwhelmed and surprised. What is your opinion?

Thank you.