Originally Posted by micro240
Recently I've thought I might want to start a small "working" collection of vintage classic hunting rifles. They wouldn't be "safe queens" as I would intend to shoot/hunt with them on occasion.

Looking at classic hunting rifles (let's say from the 1950's onward) - Husqvarna 1600, early Sakos, FN Mauser, Schultz and Larsen, etc. vs Winchester/Remington/Weatherby/etc.

What would your leaning be around general material quality, fit and finish, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Why would you just limit yourself from the 1950s onward? There are some really great rifles made in US, GB, Europe, and other places before that.

However, if I was young again I would aim to get rifles that I know would know would be classics and many of my selections have been already echoed by many on here.

US-
1853 /1863 Sharps Carbine Conversion in 50/70 in good shootable condition. You have to live in either hog country or moose country or maybe both. What would be a better 10 to 100 yard quick gun.

Marlin 1881 in 45-70 in good shootable condition with a long barrel. They are great to shoot off hand.

Savage 1895 in 303 Savage made by Marlin. There aren't a lot of them.

Springfield Sporter 03A3-- Sedgely, Wundhammer, Owen, G and H. They are just neat rifles.

Stevens Crackshot Favorite 22. These are also fun little guns.

Winchester Model 71 in 348 or bigger.

Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 in saddle ring carbine form.

Savage 99 f or g in 300 Savage

Winchester Pre-64 270 featherweight or a Pre-64 338 Winchester Alaskan.

Remington 514 target 22lr Winchester 52b or 75 would also work. A lot of people like the 62 gallery gun.

Ruger RSM 416 Rigby

GB-
One good Double Rifle- Made by William James in 470 Nitro.(Hollis, Manton, Jeffery, Army and Navy, etc) more for go but with some class.

Lee Speed Rifle in 303 British- These are very nice rifles and are classics.

A Rigby highland stalker in 275 Rigby would also be a nice classic rifle.

Whitworth Mark X in 458 Win are out there and just good.

European
Brnos- 21s, and 22s. These have gone up in price. 7X57s abd 8X57s

MS are good after 1950 but man they are classics before. 1903s, 1905s, 1908s and even the 1914/1918 sporters are fantastic.

A Flaig's Custom using a Ferlach oval contour barrel and FN action with a classic stock in 375 or 458 is pretty nice.(European parts but American Custom manufacture)

Sako Riimikiis and Vixens in 222 and 223 in various forms are always winners.

A Sauer Weatherby in 300 Weatherby Mag would be nice.

An Orbendorf Mauser 98 in 8X57 or 9.3X62 would also be nice.

Belgium High Power Safaris were pretty nice pre-salt wood. 264 Win Mag to be different.

Heym modern express rifle modelled off of the form of Ralf Martini in 404 Jeffery would be nice.

That is a quick list. You might be surprised how researching each of these would give you a pretty good look at classic rifles from different periods.

I didn't include Drillings, Kiplaufs or even Huskies which I really like but this is a good start.