Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Up until 3.5 years ago, I had never dropped a tree. Now, it's second only to mowing.

I took a wild hair and bought a little patch of property that a hippie family had allowed to become over grown while they did their "back to nature" bullshit.

I've been cutting trees and brush ever since.

I don't have any exotic equipment, so I go at it with a chainsaw, a chipper, a 65 year old body, a 70 year old tractor, and a Bic lighter assisted by some stock in a charcoal lighter company.

I dug a pretty good sized hole out back to burn it all in. So far this year I've cut down and burned a 25' spruce tree that had died, (after cutting all the ancient Christmas tree lights out of it) and some type of exotic Maple tree that hippies seem attracted to. I liked the Maple tree too,...but evidently, they planted it when they were too stoned to realize that they set it out right under the power lines that feeds 3 houses out here.

For the past few years one of my favorite activities is to spend the day hanging out back by the fire hole pitching a dissected tree into it while occasionally taking sips from the pint bottle which stays secured in the bib pocket in a pair of Liberty overalls.

It's a lot of work,..and I have to take regular breaks to keep my wind up. But I'm glad that it's tree cutting/burning, pint sipping time again.

Every age has its high spots. As a young man it was chasing puzzy,...at middle age lt was making kids and being driven crazy by the wife I had then,...as a senior citizen, my high point is to cut and burn trees while I sip on a favored libation until the sun sets and I wander back to the house to shower and sink into the bed.

I like this age. I'm stooped,..every joint in my body hurts,..I'm old, ugly, and all my hair has fallen out. But I can stand by a fire pit out on the backside of my property by myself,...watch the trees I've cleared burn,..sip on a pint, and be at peace with the world.

All in all, it beats the hell out of that disco ball I was dancing under back in '77.

You know Bristoe,

Undoing the damage done by hippies outta get you a good seat later on..

Enjoy the peace you earn by making you piece of this work better...

Carry on...

This house and site is where the family who farms the land surrounding it built on 50 years ago. They had several hundred acres to choose from and they built here. The house is decent, but nothing special. But the building site is very nice. It's up on a hill and you can see for 3 or 4 miles in two directions. The family who grew up here still farm the land that surrounds it. They all grew up and went their own way,...the old folks died off,...so they sold off the old homestead.

I'm the second owner since it was sold off by the family who farms the land around it. I jumped on it when it came up for sale.

It needs to be cleaned up, but I've taken it a long way over the past 3.5 years.