Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Everything any penn does, an avet does better. Fact. I own an international 16vsx and my LX spooled up with 65lb braid does everything that penn will do. At a fraction of the weight. Know any Avet maintenance shops? Me neither. I own 5 I think now and they are the only reel I'll buy outside of a spinning reel

Sounds like you think you know what your talking about. So why the he'll would anyone want to put 850 yds of braid on a reel and not use any backing? And do you think you can out cast me using your Avet, and me using a Penn 4/0?

I run straight braid because some of the black cod spots are 300-350 fathoms. Use straight braid to minimize drag and so I can feel the hits that far down. I bought that reel strictly for dropping down, not casting. Avet does make smaller reels that are more designed for that kind of thing. I have 2 that I troll with and I can cast them just fine.

For reference I do have an International 16vsx also. Its a solid reel but it weighs a ton. Go jigging all day and you will feel it, which is why I switched to the Avet.