So I have a Ruger M77 "tanger" chambered for this cartridge and it has always been one of my most difficult rifle to clean......

I recently embarked on load development with the Hornady V-max in 87 grain to more appropriately match my aging style 😂. I used to push the 55 grain NBT with H414 out of it, but decided I wanted to preserve the barrel, and I needed something new to do.

Anyway, I've tried several powders (Varget, H414, IMR 4451, IMR 4831) and Varget and IMR 4831 showed promise, but not what I was hoping for. So I started doing some web research and found many references to the .243 Winchester being a "barrel burner" and a cartridge that fouls much easier and worse than other cartridges. I was already in the middle of cleaning it up for the next range session, and like always it was taking an inordinate amount of time and doses of WipeOut. I dug around my cleaning drawer and found some Montana Copper Killer and Copper Cream and went to town on it yesterday. I've been amazed at the amount of effort it has taken, and the amount of dirty patches (blue/black at first, now just faint blue) to get to the point I am at, and I'm not down to the bare metal yet. Before I shoot my next set of loads I am going to have a good friend look at the barrel with a borescope to make sure I'm not wasting my time with a firecracked shotgun for the first 6 inches.

Anyway, are the reputations of being a barrel burner and a bad fouling hombre, as compared to other cartridges valid, or just interweb garbage?