Years back when I was still a heavy chain smoker I was looking for a lighter weight rifle than the heavy 30-06 I was carrying. It would flat wear me out above 9,000 feet MSL on the mountain where the deer were. I got a good deal on a Remington 660 in .308 that with a scope weighed a good pound and a half less but damned if it didn't kick like a very angry mule. About that time my birthday came around and the kids got me a set of those Mickey Mouse hearing protecters. Well I went out to try and get that .308 to shoot a decent group and when I shot it with the muffs the kick was gone. Well not really gone but it just didn't hurt. Seems the muzzle blast from the 20" barrel was what was really causing the pain.
Too many years of shooting with nothing to protect my hearing has done considerable damage. I'm almost totally deaf in my right ear and only have about 50 to 55 % in my left ear. These days I wear muffs even on hunts. Probably my favorite deer rifle is the Ruger M77 RSI in .308 with an 18.5" barrel. The muffs make it a pleasure to shoot. My Mauser custom in.308 is noticeably quieter than the RSI but not as much fun to shoot. I like the RSI for my rare deer hunts when I draw a tag for the Kaibab.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE