Originally Posted by fshaw
I'm in the Adirondacks and hunt dense forest. I like the idea of the 62gr bullet being able to get to the vitals or break an off side shoulder from a variety of angles. Had a Barnes (cant remember if 53gr .224 or 85gr .243 from a 6x45 loose all 4 petals on a 25 yard shot on a buck hit on the humorous just below the shoulder joint. Recovered bullet looked like a 22LR bullet. That's what makes me lean toward the heavier 62gr. Have never shot them on game though.

Most bullets that are designed to open at lower velocity that distance will yield , will "blow up" at very close range. At twenty five yards about any hunting bullet would work, and most will have bomb like results. On the other hand, if you have the chance of shooting far enough to loose velocity at POI, the bullet needs to open at that velocity. This is why choices by individuals vary widely. Bullets are designed to function in a velocity window basically. Likely a 50 or 53gr TSX or TTSX, or many others for that matter would be well within the operating range of velocities you'll encounter from 150yds and less. The longer mono-metal may not stabilize as well as the lighter bullets would. One of my favorite out of slow twist barrels for hunting is the Nosler 64gr BSB. It's short length, soft point, bonded design stabilizes well, and the terminal results are quite good.

If you have a 1:8 or faster the Sierra 77gr TMK is pretty tough to beat.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson