Good horse advice here. The small details saddlesore posted are even more important riding rough ground.....small foot and leg movements that keep you centered in the saddle are helpful not only to you, but the horse. My horse days are probably over....but when riding cow horses, it was important to stay where your center of gravity helped you both on the long hauls, and you weren’t giving input to the horse that you didn’t intend. I’m no ‘expert’ compared to real experts, but was forced to train English hunter as a kid, rode western when I got to do what I liked, got broken in on working/cutting/roping in west Texas, and had some Olympic, US/French equestrian riders that had the misfortune of having me as their introduction to western style riding......all that to say this: their very highly skilled English backgrounds made them better western riders than most of the ‘know-it-all’ cowboys weaned on a cutting horse out there, and as much as I used to hate my forced English training, it served me in good stead on every cow horse I ever rode. All the horse folks posting on here are steering you straight as far as I’d know: any riding is far better than no riding.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 04/09/21.