Originally Posted by Blackheart
I got rid of my inline soon after I bought my T/C Hawken. The Hawken is much more fun to shoot and hunt with. Patched round balls and real black powder all the way. The inline was just a modern, slow to load single shot rifle and I won't be getting another.

Absolutely spot on.

It is interesting to note that when states originally created muzzleloader hunting seasons, they stipulated that the rifles used had to be traditional side-locks using iron sights, and that they must be used with patched round ball ammunition and black powder only. Since these seasons were designated as for primitive weapons, it was only common sense.

Of course, that soon gave way to the first non-traditional in-line muzzle-loaders such as those based on the Harrington and Richardson break-open single barrel shotgun.
Then, of course, patched round balls gave way to TC maxi-balls and such, and then scopes began to be allowed as well.

Finally, the floodgates opened and the only requirement that remained was that the rifle be loaded from the muzzle. Modern saboted JSP projectiles and BP substitutes rule the day now, and the rifles are entirely modern. The so-called primitive weapons season just became a second-chance season to harvest more game.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT