Originally Posted by 5sdad
Seems like this should lead to a discussion of the .32 Winchester Special.

I have been resisting so far, but will now comment:

The .32 Special appeared shortly after the .30-30, and is essentially the .30-30 necked up to .32 caliber, but the barrels had a 1-16 rifling twist instead of the 1-12 twist of the .30-30 (or, for purists, the .30 WCF). This allowed the .32 Special to be handloaded with black powder and still result in reasonable accuracy, because the slower twist and larger bore didn't foul as much. Some people have disputed this, but the original Winchester records (and other contemporary publications) bear this out.

I have also tested it in a Winchester Model 94 made in 1952, and got well under minute-of-deer groups (in fact rivaling smokeless, jacketed loads in the same rifle), with both cast and jacketed bullets. Did an article on this for Handloader magazine long ago. May have even reprinted it in one of my pre-Gun Gack books.

The reason Winchester went to the trouble was that reloading with early smokeless powders was pretty hazardous, due to a lack of data and the tendency of handloaders used to black powder to assume filling up the case completely was necessary.
During my research I found that handloading with black powder was really common even in many "smokeless" cartridges up until about World War Two, especially during the Depression, because black was cheaper than smokeless--and often more available, especially in rural areas.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck