Originally Posted by ingwe
For those of you with a 20 practical does it offer any radical differences over the .204 Ruger?

Tom, I took a 204 barrel off the action, on the one I built...

Two reason I built it...

1. brass availability, I had plenty of 223 range pick up brass, almost an endless supply courtesy of OSP, when they train, they just leave it.. because it walks away by the next morning... its easy to form...you are just taking the neck down to 20 caliber...

2. velocity was pretty much spot on vs the 204, in most instance.. if it was a little behind, it wasn't by much..

other key points, is I only had to buy a $20 die, the Hornady 20 caliber general purpose die, that can be set up to neck size any cartridge to 20 cal...they offer the same type dies in other calibers... I have one of each in 6.5 and 30 cal also..

mine was on a Model 77 Mk 2 short action... I used a bench rest follower, because I am shooting stationary off a 4 Runner Hood... single shot each time..
I run 32 gr Vmax and 24 gr NTX Lead free bullets, and the occasional 26 gr Varrmint Grenade from Barnes...

I don't run the 40 grain 20 cal bullets, as for that, I just run a 40 grain Vmax in the 223....

The 223 die with the spindle out can be used as a body die, and the 223 seating die works on the 20 Practical with no issues...

I start sizing a 223 case down first time using the 204 F/L die , to 20 cal, and finish with the above mentioned Hornady 20 cal die...

right now, I am finding 20 cal and 17 cal v max bullets on shelves, and am setting pretty on 22 cal bullets from A to Z...

I look at the 20 Practical and the 17 Fireball.. as just in case rifles right now....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez