Back when I had two rat terriers, one 8lb and one 15lb, GHO’s would sometimes follow us when I took them for walks at night, even had one hovering over my head.

I also had one land right next to the 15lb dog exactly like that owl in the video when the dog was about 25 yards from me, and then it followed us from tree to tree. One time the 35lb heeler mutt in my avatar saved the 8lb terrier by rushing an owl swooping in low. Another time when the little dog was right behind me an owl swooped so close from behind I felt the breeze as it swept low over my head.

Typically this would happen most in late summer when that year’s crop of young owls were kicked out by their parents. Likely these owls were desperately hungry.

I think that owl could have easily hit the fox but pulled out last minute on account of its size, same thing as with the one that landed next to my dog.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744