Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

But if we are to continue with the present system, and avoid a collapse, immigration must not be interrupted.

Do you mean legal or illegal?

I am not sure I’ve met anyone who advocates completely shutting down the former; it’s the latter than people seem to have a problem with.

Exactly. It's the illegals that are primarily the problem; although, un-controlled legal immigration is a concern as well.

Bush had a golden opportunity to fix immigration after 9-11. If, under the auspices of national security, he had secured the border then (with a wall or a militarized zone) we wouldn't have a lot of the problems we have now. I don't remember who all ran for the Republican nomination in 2000, but when it came down to Bush v. Gore, it was a no-brainer for me. He did some good with the economy (the financial crisis can't be blamed on him although it happened on his watch) but overall, he turned out to be a disappointment. His refusal to respond to the press's criticism and lies emboldened them, and led to the election of Obama.

Since leaving office, he has been even more disappointing. "Pathway to citizenship" is rewarding those to broke laws to get here and incentivizes more to come. To be fair, it's hard to blame Bush for his dislike of Trump, after Trump said, or at least implied, that Bush knew about the attack on America in advance. No evidence have I seen of that.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.