Originally Posted by Quak
Hey Guys,

Ive got a very nice older cz 550 in 308 win that id like to get the barrel cut down on and have the front sight reinstalled. I hunt in the north woods primarily and much of my time is spent in a ground blind. The current length is 23.5 and its just a bit clunky in a confined area. I also do a fair amount of tracking in the snow and the longer barrel is a challenge in the cedar swamps up here.

Other uses for the gun would include a black bear hunt every couple of years (over bait) elk every 3 years or so and at some point id like to take a northern Ontario moose.

My first thought was go all the way down to 20 inches. Ive got enough elevation adjustment in the rear sight to account for the change but what are yours thoughts?

They may make a pill for this condition...not sure. I hunt out of box stands elevated, and know what confinement is. Not much difference between 20-23.5", it is all in your mind.

Concussion of a 20" barrel is very significant to say the least, as I found out on coyote hunting rifles that I wanted to swing faster, hearing loss and ringing ears abound. 18-20" barrels ring your bell. A guy that I hunted with's dad was a world famous ear surgeon. He was constantly scolding us on hearing loss, especially with short barrels as I had acquired two 6mm Rem Ruger compacts to day hunt coyotes with, and his son bought one of them. Pard's dad came unglued over such a short barrel. His exact words were, "DON'T BE STUPID".