Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Removing them would not have a large impact on the water woes downstream. It would impact other things, like wheat transportation off the Palouse, and Bonneville Power rates.
There was a situation a few years ago when the spring runoff had all the dams running at peak power production, enough to fill the grid and them some. They shut down all the windmills for a few weeks because the grid couldn't handle that much power. Normally when a company over produces something and can't sell it all, they pull in, lay off, and wait it out. Not in this case. The Bonneville Power Admin. paid the windmill owners for the power that they weren't producing. Your tax money at work.

Yes, I was working on the river then. Every dam had their spillways AND powerhouses allowing as much water as possible to get through. By the time it hit Bonneville they were pushing over 500,000 cubic feet per second through the system. One is welcome to calculate that out to gallons per minute if they wish, I don't. I think they may have been pushing closer towards 600K cfs. And you're correct, the grid isn't designed for that kind of generation.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?