How is that working out for you?

I ask this, as mine is "complete" but I've been struggling with a few issues, and truthfully, I'm not versed in AR's enough to diagnose them.

I know I could have purchased a complete rifle, but I've wanted to build one for a while now, and this seemed like a perfect opportunity to jump in. So I did, with both feet. The barrel came first, and I did not skimp much. Proof Research (stainless, not the carbon wrapped version - that WAS too spendy!) 18 inch, rifle +1 gas port, 7.5 twist. VG6 Gamma brake. Since I was going almost whole hog, I opted to go with a Seekins billet upper and lower, and parts kit, as well as their adjustable gas block. Trigger is a Trigger Tech Adaptable. Looking for a reputable bolt carrier group during this Scamdemic, I was able to locate a CMMG unit to procure. Radian Raptor charging handle. For the butt end of the rifle, I opted to go with the Magpul PRS adjustable stock, along with an Aero- Precision H2 buffer (carbine length). Ergo Grip. I made a choice for an (I think) interesting handguard, opting for a WWII themed unit from SD Tactical. If I can afford to have it all cerakoted, it ought to look pretty awesome. Haven't settled on an optic yet, but pulled the Vortex off my 5.56 for the time being.

So here are my issues - The gun goes bang just fine. Ejection is in the 2-4 o'clock zone (border line over gassed?). Bolt does stay open on a single round/last round scenario, but does not feed another round into the chamber with multiple cartridges in the mag (Stoner 6.5 Grendel mags). So, effectively, so far I have a really nice looking, expensive single shot. Looking at the hold open on single rounds, it looks to me like the bolt is catching on the bolt body (?) (rather than the locking lug face) with the locking lugs positioned over the magazine follower. What does that signify? Too heavy of a buffer? Under gassed? Try as I might, I can't make that situation occur with my 5.56. Too much spring tension on the bolt release?

Thinking that the rifle wasn't getting enough gas to properly open the bolt, I opened the gas block most of the way with no change. Which leads me to think that it is getting enough gas, but the bolt buffer is too heavy? I've swapped it out for the carbine unit out of the 5.56, but haven't been able to test that yet. Or Should I be running a rifle length buffer tube with the heavier buffer? My neanderthal logic says that if I'm running a rifle length gas tube I shouldn't be running a carbine buffer? Like I said, I'm not well versed in the ins/outs of this platform......

Can someone generously walk me out of this minefield I've trapped myself in? Please?

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"