Originally Posted by mwarren
Guys, I bought a 6.5 CM. I have no history with this round. The rifle is a Remington 700 MTN with 22" barrel with 1:8 twist. My preference is to try and find ammo in bulk due to the shortage and cost.

I realize each rifle is unique. However, is there a grain that works well for your 6.5CM with a 1:8 twist? I've seen ammo available in 120gr, 125gr, 140gr and 142gr. I intend to use this rifle on whitetail.

When I had my match gun put together, my son had given me some of the Hornady American Gunner. I shot three consecutive five shot groups that all grouped < .5” at 100 yards. It shot so well that I wondered if I would be able to produce a hand load that would shoot any better. I’ve made some that shot marginally better, but none that shot significantly better. I was with my son when he used the American Gunner on a decent Caribou and it worked well. I have no doubt it will work on whitetails too if you put the bullet in the right place.

Thanks being said, all of the Hornady ammo I have tried in my Creedmoors, 140gr American Gunner, 140gr ELD Match, 143gr ELD-X, and 147gr ELD Match, have all shot well, usually putting five into .6” or less.

If it were me, I’d buy one box of everything and let the rifle tell you what it likes and stock up on that.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14