Originally Posted by wyoelk
I’m .338 there is one and only one damn bullet ever needed for any North American game. Get yourself some 210 gr Partition. Go forth and slay everything.

That is the one Partition I will never use on game again. Well, maybe caribou. I've got a couple dozen for reloading that came with the rifle - I need to get rid of them.

Almost certainly a wildly atypical performance, but once burned......

I shot a 4 or 5 year old bull moose, broadside, at about 100 yards the first time I ever used it. Accuracy was acceptable, but not as good as with several other loads. The factory round blew up on the shoulder blade, completely shattering the bone, and sending bb's of bone and metal into the near side lung. Nothing penetrated to the far side lung. I never found the rear portion of the bullet- I believe it ricocheted back out the extensive entry wound. When I was 10 feet away, the bull lurched back to his feet. A second round pretty much up his nose finished it, aside from a bit of adrenaline shakes. I'm done with it!

I'll stick with 225 - 250 grain bullet weights. C&C do just fine, also. I've also gone to approaching from the side or back, insurance shots from a few yards out, and if I can get it, cns placement. I'm old - I don't need the excitement.

Another very tough (and accurate) bullet in my .338WM is the Trophy Bonded. The factory loaded 250 grain bullet at 140 yards just creased the front of the ham, quartering away, and exited the far side shoulder blade after passing through the paunch. Ick! Not a large exit wound either.

Last edited by las; 04/27/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.