I'm the exact opposite of pullit. I use a jake decoy frequently and have never seen a sub dominate run from it. It's crazy, we have opposite experience from hunting the same sub-species within bordering states.

I always use decoys; time permitting. I want the approaching tom focused on the decoy(s), not scanning the woods looking for a hen, especially if I have to make some minor movements prior to a shot.

I generally use a jake facing a hen/facing the opposite direction that I anticipate the gobbler coming from. Usually the gobbler will attempt to circle and approach the jake face-to-face. This can be used to your advantage depending on the situation. It's not the ONLY way of doing things, just another means to an end.

Try both approaches see what works for you.

ETA: F'n birds are doing the same here and have all season. Gobble when they pitch-down and shut-up and won't gobble at all. Our season was late this year due to an unusually warm spring.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.