Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Scanning the thread...read your post with interest Seafire, without knowing who had posted it until I looked back. Extremely interesting and informative.

I can't stress enough how folks go missing on the trail. Carry a personal locator beacon and a gun. If possible, travel with another person and a dog.
[/quote]

Ethan, the trail was well marked 50 years ago... I can't imagine it has gotten worse.. People have GPS systems that we didn't have back in those days.
plus cell phones... we would stick together as a group... but if we got stretched out, we had those in the leads, have a specific time to stop and have a meal, rest and do hygiene... we would carry walky talkys.. there is plenty of nearby civilization not far away....

Never carried a gun on any of the trail in those days, but at the same time, NEVER did it alone.. and a dog along always helped out a lot ...

Biggest danger was bears, but multiple people, it wasn't that hard to chase them away.. the world was safer in those days from humans...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez