Originally Posted by sidewinder72
I still do not understand how WLP had that much power without the board and others. There should be checks and balances to keep organization liquid. He did whatever he wanted, with no regards for anyone else. Why can't he be held personally financialy accountable?
That's what a Board of Directors is for. But if the Board of Directors are all getting their palms greased...well they just allow a little of this, a little of that, and over a couple of decades things are really changed.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profil...inst-wayne-lapierre-to-dissolve-the-nra/

The lawsuit accuses LaPierre of using a “poison pill contract” to ensure he would receive an income for life from the NRA worth more than $17 million and consolidating power within the organization by nefarious means. He used his position to “intimidate, punish, and expel anyone at a senior level who raised concerns about his conduct,” resulting in the diverting of “millions of dollars away from the charitable mission, imposing substantial reductions in its expenditures for core program services, including gun safety, education, training, member services and public affairs.”

Regarding that contract... I got wind of this in 2004 when I was writing for the gun magazines. It was related to me by a former board member who said "WLP gets X-millions per year for the rest of his life when he retires. And he gets X million (MUCH more), if they fire him."
That's kinda how the conversation went...I don't remember the numbers. But the guy who said it was a former board member...then he introduced me to another former board member who confirmed the same thing.

Then they told me that WLP re-wrote the bylaws so the Neal Knox member takover could never happen again. Well that was easy enough to confirm, and yeah; it can't.

And then I met WLP in person. I pegged him as a Televangelist immediately...Biggest douchebag I've ever met.

So I called into a public board meeting once. And it was just a dog and pony show... All fluff and ZERO details; just as you'd expect from a televangelist.

I can't believe it has taken so long for WLP to get busted; he has been there 30 years I hope to God some board members get hammered on this, because they had to approve all this stuff, and there needs to be accountability there too.