Originally Posted by MM879
Originally Posted by ajmorell
Originally Posted by Calhoun
A couple of rust areas down low behind the doors (another common thing on F150 super crew cabs), but I think she's good for a while. Oil got changed frequently by mileage... but not necessarily by date, given that I only averaged 3500 miles a year with it. But can't speak to the 100,000 miles it had on it when I bought it in 2008. It was clean, but no maintenance records came with it. So it's a crap shoot for the cam phasers.

Cam phasers will probably run you about $3500 parts and labor. That should include new cam phasers, new phaser solenoids, timing chain, timing chain tensioners and guides at a minimum. It's possible there will be some additional parts they find that are worn and should be replaced. It's a known, well-documented issue with the 5.4 3V engines.

I just had this done on my '10 (currently ~150k miles) and in addition to the phasers, solenoids and timing chains/guides/tensioners I had to have an exhaust manifold replaced (leaked, ended up with a broken stud in the cyl. head) and a few roller rockers replaced. It was not cheap, but talking with the shop owner, who I trust a great deal, he advised that similar repairs on newer vehicles were far more costly and not any more infrequent. He also said that once repaired, it should be no issue to get another 100k-150k without issue from the 5.4. I contemplated a new truck, but I couldn't justify spending $50000 on a new one versus $5k to repair my existing one which is in otherwise great shape.

I have a 6.4L Ram. The engine was certified with 5w-30 oil. Shortly after release corporate changed to 0w-40 full syn oil. I am not certain why they did that but, I know it was for reason. The 0w-40 full syn is very costly and hard to find. The only sources I know of is internet and dealer. There was an oil filter design change also. The 0w-40 is the best oil I have ever used. The only problem is the 0w-40 is twice the price of normal oil. The Euro market uses a 0w-40 full syn of a different specification. FCA recommends against the use of the Euro standard.

I believe it is related to oil supply of the cams and roller rockers in the 6.4 related to the MDS. I've read a bit about 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi with MDS scortching cams with low mileage. Not sure I've read enough reports that it'd deter me from buying one though, I think the failure rate is pretty low and mostly attributable to poor maintenance.

Last edited by ajmorell; 05/13/21.