Thought I would give an update on the gun and testing. I will preface this with the statement that there is a LOT of BS and internet experts that have for years pontificated and perpetuated falsehoods surrounding the 450 AK on a M 1895 45-70 base action. I have spoken at length with numerous gunsmith buddies, and mechanical engineer co-workers on the subject. We can find no fault with the basic design of the gun. Have there been failures, yes, but nobody knows the whole truth so BS explanations have been put forth...for years (and none from a 450AK that I have been able to find). I spent months and months researching this, and found NOTHING but conjecture. I have tried to blow up guns with 4140 barrels that are FAR thinner than the chamber of the 1895 450AK and have never been able to...they just blow the primers and vent gas...we are talking barrels...that particular action did stretch some and need to be put back on face (double rifle).

Enter my testing, real testing, to date I have put 50+ 40 to 50 cup loads through the gun which is strapped to a tire stripped to just the frame and barrel. A string is tied to the barrel and from behind a barrier the gun is fired. I measure before and after to see if anything has stretched or bulged..nothing. No cracks, on the frame barrel to mag tube web, no chamber cracks, no stretching..nothing. The lever is zip tied to keep it closed. The only negative has been extraction is sticky and a lot of force is needed to eject the case. The gunsmith I know has done similar testing with the same results. I will say all of my loads are with powders designed for rifle cartridges, I will not use pistol powder in a large volume or rifle case, that makes a pipe bomb.

I plan on some more testing with different powders I use for double rifle sized cases to see how they perform. At this point I'm confident it will hold on pretty much any sane lever gun load.

Disclaimer: These are shot from a test stand from behind a barrier for safety I would never shoot these from my shoulder. The purpose of chambering for the 450AK and a larger case is to reduce the pressure for the same loads, not to increase the loads. IE: 400 grain bullet at 1950fps in 45-70 is maxed out at 40cup, the same load in a 450AK is 35cup; thus is easier and safer on the gun.

These are done with my gun..yours may not be as well built, I always proof a gun as described, not from my shoulder.

577Nitro-

Last edited by 577Nitroexpress; 05/13/21. Reason: spelling