Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[/quote] The 25 WSSM could be viewed as a cartridge that produced approximately the same performance as the 25-06 from a more compact, handier, rifle.

Jeff, I have written about this before, but I have found the claim for short (and super-short) action bolt rifles to be more compact and handier than standard-action bolts to be pretty much BS.

First, I have weighed both short and standard actions of the same brand and usually the difference in weight is at most 4 ounces, and sometimes as little as 2.

A for compact, I just measured the action and overall length of four of my Model 70 rifles. Barrel length is also noted:

.223 stainless WSSM: Action 7", OAL 41.5", barrel 22"
.308 Pre-'64 Fwt: Action 8", OAL 42", barrel 22"
.300 WSM M70 Classic: Action 7.5", OAL 44", barrel 24"
.270 M70 O'Connor Commemorative: Action 8", OAL 42.5", barrel 22"

Without scope and mounts, all weigh within about half a pound of each other. The lightest is the pre-'64 .308.

I've gotten similar results comparing other brands, and my conclusion is that action-length has less to do with being compact and handy than barrel length and dimensions, and stock weight and dimensions.
[/quote]

My primary 25 WSSM is a 70 stainless Ultimate Shadow that is bedded in a McM Compact stock. It has the stock 22" barrel and is just about 1" longer than the 70 Lightweight Carbine in 250-3000 that I bought from you in 2005. Both rifles are more compact, handier, than the usual 24" barreled 25-06 and even a little shorter and handier than my Marlin XL7 in 25-06 with a 22" barrel.

Again, the initial question raised in this thread was underrated cartridges and IMO that 25 WSSM falls squarely into that description.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on the WSSMs 'cause I don't care what other people think or do, their lives, their choices.