Hatcher's 300M load called for a 173gr at reduced velocity. 2250fps comes to mind. A full course 300M position match is 120 shots plus sighters on a target much more demanding than our Highpower targets. Recoil reduction with accuracy was huge. (today the gold standard is the 6BR).

FA put out a Hatcher load in their International Match loading in 30-06 in the 1950's then the T275 load in 308. The most common spec for the 308 loading I see on boxes is 2440fps (maybe because these are the ones that weren't consumed in competition as much). It's times like that that I miss my old friend Ray Meketa who collected and documented the 308/7.62 Match loadings. I recall discussing with him the spec'd velocities for the various lots of T275. My recollection is that they were mostly loaded with IMR4895.

Trivia: The VLD bullet design is the result of a cooperative effort between US folk such as Bill Davis of Tioga Engineering, Lou Palmisano, Jimmy Knox of JLK et al in an effort to give the US 300M team a lower recoil, wind resistant, accurate round to shoot in competition. I believe they were successful there and we in the sub 30 cal world benefited from the outfall.