Any of you all living up north driving older vehicles you have managed to keep rust-free? How did you do it?

A good chance I will move back up north.

(My folks are at the point they need help to stay in their home. And not too long until they will need to either go into a nursing home or live with us. The former option is grotesque and the latter option is un-doable, given our present small home in the southern latitudes. Helping out parents from nigh on 1000 miles away is rough.)

Anyways, having spent nearly all my adult life in the south, rust has not been much of a problem. When I have visited up north, I see vehicle and trucks with few years on them all eaten up with rust. I see youtube videos of guys p north working on cars that have rust-crusted bolts & such. I want to prevent that with my current vehicles and any I might buy and use up north.

We seek a more rural home & land with a garage shop in which I will install a serious hydraulic lift, so access to the underside of my vehicles will not be so hard.

TAR
I thought maybe one of those spray-on tar deals was the way to go, but some folks seem to think this is a good way to kill a car, as it screws up access to electrical bits and hides rust that gets under it.

OIL
Annual pro or DIY application of what looks like motor oil to the underbits and some other places is another option I see.

KEEP IT CLEAN
Some folks indicate that washing the salt and crusted snow/ice/dirt off is the way to go.

Other options?

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers