[quote=Coyote_Hunter]Both of my centerfire bolts are Rugers - a .223 and a .22-250. Both have the older, slower twists of 12 and 14 respectively. The .223 loves 40g bullets but accuracy degrades quickly above 50g.

Neither is what I would chose for big game hunting, although I've taken a lot of 'yotes with the .22-250. While I think most of the deer (all mulies) and elk I've taken over the years would have fallen to a properly place .224" bullet from either, there is no way I would chose them for such use, even if they were legal in this state.

A fast twist .223 with a heavy bullet is something I might use for antelope but, although I've hunted elk and mulies with a .44 Mag handgun, and carbine and a .30-30, it would be far down on my list of choices for elk and deer. Maybe in part because I've seen more elk wounded and lost after being shot with a .243 Win than all other cartridges combined, bullet choice unknown in most cases.

That said, a fast twist .224: with a good bullet is undoubtedly a pretty capable cartridge. But for elk I'll stick with my .257 Roberts and a 120g A-Frame @ 2947fps (+P load and brass) as my minimum. I've always used 2000fps and 1500fpe as my rule of thumb yardstick to compare the effective range for elk. Granted, my .44 Revolver doesn't get there and my carbine only reaches the 1500fpe mark but not the 2000fps. I don't know of any .223 Rem or 5.56 NATO load that reaches the 1500fps mark at the muzzle. My Roberts is good to about 320 yards at 7000 feet altitude, which is well within the range where I've taken most of my elk.

[/quote)
Have you tried the 70 grain Speer Semi Spitzer in your 1-12 twist? They shoot really well in my 1-12 twist and reasonably well in my 1-14 .22-250 Remington 700. They're Semi Spitzer and not as long. so they stabilize better in the looser twist. For out to 200 yards they're accurate and kill deer with regularity and of course with proper shot placement, which is required no matter the caliber or bullet.

Last edited by Filaman; 05/25/21.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!