We eventually did get the brownies to run into the woods, and we passed by them unimpeded.

After 500 more yards of careful walking, we reached a small bluff that was hiding the 'around the corner' view of the flats.
I crept up to the top and peered over. At only about 50 yards away was the black bear! I looked as quickly but thoroughly as I could, and from what I could tell it was a decent boar.

It was my dad's turn to shoot. We crawled to the edge of the bluff where we could set up a sitting shot against my trekking pole. The wind was right, and all we had to do was wait for the bear to feed back into view. More easily said than done, but it finally happened. My dad lined up and shot. The bear dropped down for a couple seconds but then reeled up and was biting at the bullet. I told him "reload, shoot again!" but his rifle had jammed. Just as the bear ran back into the woods I shot another round into the boar. I couldn't tell you which shot was which, but one was liver and the other was lung.
The bear did not go far.

My dad's bear (he did not want his photo shared online):
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I gutted the bear while my dad made the trek back to our skiff and grabbed the inflatable canoe. He walked it up the river while I dragged the bear down the river. We met up and floated out the rest of the way.

but the day was not done...

Last edited by 907brass; 05/26/21.