Originally Posted by Region6
The best way to learn a unit is to go hunt it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^^

About 12 years ago I started DIY Antelope hunting Wyoming and buying points . I hunted a unit that had leftover tags every year. And multiple antelope doe tags were $35 IIRC. Yeah those days are gone.....

I hunted that unit 5/6 years in a row.
Got experience hunting antelope and had some great times. Introduced family and friends to hunting. All except my brother ,first time hunters . All killed bucks and does.

Then I would spend the rest of my time driving through units I wanted to use my points on.

My experience is don’t follow internet information blindly.

About 6 years ago I was going to use my points on unit x. So after we hunted my unit on leftover tags we scouted the “trophy unit” I wanted to draw the next year.
It was a much touted “blue chip” unit. I spent two days looking that unit over.
So glad I didn’t waste 6 points on it . Some bad winters and it was in a really bad Down cycle.I would have been so mad at myself to “waste” my points on that unit, that year.
Yes there was large public land tracks with easy access.
Very few decent bucks. I never saw a buck I would have wanted to take in a “trophy unit”. I killed much better antelope on the unit I could hunt on leftover tags.

Another year I went through another “blue chip” unit. Lots of public land with easy access. Good/excellent trophy potential.
But scouting the unit, it was a dry year. Very few antelope on public land. They were all on private land in irrigation fields.
If you didn’t or couldn’t get private land access you would have had a bad experience.

So go hunt an easier to draw 2nd choice unit this year. Or get your son a doe tag and just take him this year.
Get some good experience. Then scout the unit you want to spend points on . You might find the unit that borders it is just as good or better, is easier to draw and take less points .

spend those hard to accumulate points wisely.

You can still have good hunts on units with limited public access. Have Good maps. A GPS with Wyoming chip. Burn some boot leather and you will kill lopes and have fun.
Then go look over “trophy units” to use your points on.

OP
how many points do you have?

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....