Just a little more about rods 221. Notice the rod i mentioned is a fiberglass. I use both, learned fly-fishing on glass, a Shakespeare White Wonderrod, True Temper, then went to several Garcia's for a lot of years. I was then as I still am? Wouldn't put out a few extra dollars for a Fenwick, and today I still think about getting either a Scott G Series or Sage Trout LL,
I'm a Rod Fanatic!
But I know the truth? Its like Pat said for sure. A truly good quality rod in the hands of a pro, is an awesome performance I'm sure! But me, in a small stream especially, under the trees? I'd almost feel foolish spending all that money!
Roll casting is so important on small streams, and glass excels at it! But my primary rod now fishing trout on a small stream is a TFO 7'9" 4WT Finesse Trout. Its very close to glass, the Redington Classic Trout, and the Eagle Claw i mentioned, and I'm mostly a nymph fisherman, but I use it well! Goes against most people choice for a nymph rod.
I am seriously considering the TFO Blue Ribbon Series in a 8'6" 4wt. In my limited experience on trout I think that configuration about perfect for a small stream rod!
When I fished Smallmouth, I was big on St Croix, a 9' 7wt, because I was always deep wading big wise open rivers and when you add some wind, you need the extra punch! Nowadays, IMO, the best rods for the money, but yet true good fishing rods? TFO, Echo, Redington! Just my honest opinion!

Last edited by Windknot; 05/28/21.