I always hear folks say that they don't like eating mule deer, and I even had the same opinion after eating some that friends gave me or that I had killed in CA. Until tonight....

I filled my mule deer tag last year, first time as a Montana resident, and grilled one of the backstraps. I was not looking forward to it, but I wanted to know for sure whether the meat was as bad as its reputed to be.

It was delicious. I was careful with caring for the animal from the time it went down to the time it went into the freezer and did all the processing myself. I also soaked it, then marinated in a teriyaki type of sauce anit d cooked it to medium rare.

It was as good as beef and way more tender.

Granted, this was a younger buck and the area I took it is cattle country, so it had a lot of good things to feed on, but it was so much better than the other mulie meat I've had that I'm starting to wonder if I just got lucky or whether most people screw up handling and cooking mule deer.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.