College buddy and I did a week on the NCT in the UP first week of May this year.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Temps dropped into mid- to high-30s during the nights. Tent camping in my BA Fly Creek UL2 and was thinking I had a 30 degree bag but it was a synthetic BA 15 degree. I run a thermarest trail lite as a pad.

I was REALLY hot (I run hot as a rule) at night and the bag, as you can see from the big marshmallow hanging off my pack, it was huge and bulky. I’m thinking of picking up a 20- or 30-degree quilt and an upgraded pad doe my Montana spot & stalk spring bear hunt next year. Thinking I could afford to go with a warmer rating (20 degree) since I can vent a quilt easier than a bag?

I’m hoping to keep the pad around $150 (looking hard at a Sea To Summit comfort light) and the quilt around $250.

Had considered a Outdoor Vitals down model but don’t know the first thing about em. Another company I’d be interested to hear from anyone with experience is UGQ Outdoor here in Michigan. Is Further Faster Designs still in business? They’d made a 30 degree in the past and I’m running their 50 degree this spring…

Thoughts? Tips? Guidance?

Thanks all,

Eric